Congratulations to the following 2022 Student Writing Contest winners:
- Tyleigh Spiller, Junior – Homeschool/Edgefield (CSRA) (Essay)
- Hayley Hylton, Junior – Oceanside Collegiate Academy (Lowcountry) (Essay)
- Shaniya Jeffcoat, Senior – Orangeburg-Wilkinson High School (Midlands) (Essay)
- Jayla Jones, Junior – Lake City Early College High School (Pee Dee) (Essay)
- Sarai Winkler, Junior – Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities (Upstate) (Essay)
South Carolina’s rich and vibrant history continues to be influenced by the contributions of the state’s African American community, the roots of which have helped shaped American history nationwide. South Carolina citizens like those highlighted in the 2022 S.C. African American History Calendar have been pioneers in a variety of fields, national leaders and role models for the next generation. Write about an African American who has lived in or greatly impacted South Carolina and has been an inspiration in your life. Discuss the contributions of the African American who has motivated and inspired you.